Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Breathalyzers (Day 4)

Schedule

8:00-9:15 Motivation lecture
11:00-12:15 Psychopharmacology lecture
2:00-3:15 Cognitive neuroscience lecture
3:30-5:30 Work
7:00-8:00 Club meeting

I managed to squeeze in an episode of Castle, so it was all good... That said, I am definitely looking forward to falling into bed this evening. 

I am trying to transition my sleeping schedule from that of a night owl to that of a morning lark. Yesterday, I went to bed at 9:00 PM and set my alarm for 4:30 AM. I managed to fall asleep early, but my alarm was not successful in its attempt to wake me. This is how it usually goes (yesterday was no exception)...

[First alarm rings]
Ughhhh. Must. Kill. Noisy. Thing.
[Second alarm rings]
*SMACK* Ninja!
[Third alarm rings]
Crap. I'm going to be late.

Better luck next time? Fingers crossed (although ten hours of sleep was quite wonderful).

Fun Fact
from Psychopharmacology

Breathalyzers are adequate measures of blood alcohol level because the amount of ethanol in your breath is equal to the amount in your blood. The blood concentration of other drugs, like tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), cannot be accurately obtained in this manner. What differs between these two drugs that allows the use of breathalyzers in the case of ethanol? 

These two drugs are distributed within the body in different ways. Ethanol distribution has a monoexponential fall over time; the drug is distributed quickly and equally throughout the body. On the other hand, THC has a biexponential fall over time. Initially, the drug is distributed into lipophilic ("lipid loving") tissues like the brain with its myelinated axons. Afterwards, it is metabolized in another (longer-lasting) phase.

No comments:

Post a Comment