Sunday, September 1, 2013

Kind People and Unexpected Delays


Yesterday morning, I had a follow-up service appointment for my car. When I walked into the office, I immediately recognized one of the employees; he helped me a few weeks ago when my car endured an extensive check-up. I asked him if I was to wait in the same lounge, and he quizzically replied, "Are you going to hang out in there all day again?" After he reminded me that they had a shuttle service, I chuckled and said, "I brought two books this time. I'm good."

When my car was serviced a few weeks prior, I was told to expect a two hour wait. It took over five hours. Fortunately, I had the forethought to bring my computer and a textbook. I sat down in their comfortable chairs, donned my headphones, and went to work.

Though I was not expecting such a long delay, I did not mind the wait. I finished more work than I would have if I had simply gone home; there were few distractions to divert my attention. Despite my repeated assurances, the employees felt bad that I was stuck there due to unforeseen circumstances on their part. They periodically gave me updates, asked if I needed anything, and sincerely thanked me for my patience (see? I do have patience). Prompted by my horrendous volunteer uniform and my large neuroscience textbook, one employee asked me about my career goals. At the end of the day, she wished me luck with my future endeavors.

Such interactions are seared into my memory. It looked as if it was going to be a bad day; I was forced to spend a cherished Saturday cooped up in a waiting room. By maintaining a positive attitude, I got through it with a genuine smile on my face. Those people made an impression on me, and it was nice to see that they remembered me when I returned a few weeks later.

No comments:

Post a Comment